10.17.2010

A Shot in the Ass


Today was the first day I injected into my backside. There is really no way to landmark the injection site on your own so I basically just tried to find the muscle in my hip by memory (I had quite a few IM injections when I spent a week in the hospital after arm surgery...one shot in alternating hips every four hours for three or four days) and by moving my leg to palpate the muscle under the skin.  I did pretty good actually. I didn't hit anything important like a nerve or blood vessel and I am positive I penetrated the muscle. I was only off the landmark by about half an inch I discovered after having my girlfriend landmark for me but I could feel the muscle before I injected and it was nearly painless.

It's only been two weeks since I ended up on the bathroom floor trying to decide whether to call an ambulance after nearly passing out after my injection. I thought I was in real trouble and having an alternative to injecting into my legs has been something I have been wanting to try for a long time. The scare I had a couple weeks ago was the shot in the ass I needed to try the ventrogluteal  injection site and I am so happy with the results that I wish I had learned to inject here first! In the future I plan to rotate my injections between my hips and my thighs but if anything bad happens while injecting my things I think I might stick with the more fleshy option.

No comments: